Profile II: Rekapper.
1. Take a picture or shoot a video of your songwriting process.
2. What’s the name of your WIP folder (a.k.a. that place in your computer where unfinished songs go to die)? Oddly enough it is rare that I have a WIP that rots forever, but when I do, I usually tag it “Needs Fixing” in my Rekapper library sorted by date, because I’ll probably find a way to save it or use it later, most likely in a mix. Everything prior to 6/7/2011 is in a folder by that name, and everything from 6/8/11-5/24/12 is in a folder by its name, and then I have all the mixing and mastering work separated out, and when the album launches it goes into my Old folder in the mixing and mastering folders. Though I do hope sometime in the future 32 bit-float masters become the standard, and I will release 32 bit masters, which I compress down to WMA (lossless) 24bit or just WAV’s (since FLAC doesn’t properly support 32 bit yet) in my music library to listen to all that tasty dynamic lossless music.
3. What is: (a.) the weirdest search hit on your Bandcamp’s Buzz stats, and (b.) the unlikeliest country hit on your Soundcloud’s play stats? I’ve had quite a few buzz stats from people searching “rekapper” on Bing, I suppose that would be quite odd. Otherwise I’ve had an interesting amount of searches through Russian search engines for “download+of+14+track+album”, both resulting in hits to Bandcamp and my webpage. On Soundcloud, I’m quite satisfied with my international fanbase and listeners, but I find it interesting that while I cover all of Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Southeast Asia and Oceania, and even most portions of Africa, I’m surprised that no one has ever listened to my music Mongolia.
4. Name an artist that is always compared to you; though you don’t hear the comparison at all. Flying Lotus, I could understand where people can see a similarity in style of trip hop, but I would honestly think it would more fall under Fly’lo’s label (Brainfeeder) artist Teebs with all his backwards beats. And also I feel that Lotus is all about his beats and emphasis on hip-hop with a trippy feel like the great pumping compressors in Tea Leaf Dancers,
where as I sort of flow more on the side of electronics free-jazz (although the other day someone complained that I was not jazzy enough, and I will assure you, my next major release will at least start with one entirely jazz out track) and house music.
5. Which artist would you like to be the opening act for? Which artist would you want to collaborate with? Very tough decision, but I’d have to say I’d want to be the opening act for Kid Koala, Kuniyuki Takahashi, Koyas, Daedelus, and Tribe/Hydeout productions member or obviously any other The Hai member. Kid Koala, is just a mad man on his turntables, I feel like I would learn years of experience just seeing him a few feet of stage, and if he was playing with the old wolfmother group under The Slew I feel like that would be the rock concert of the ages, sure my set would be totally blown off by the sheer force and epicness of his set, but I’d be happy even trying to DJ battle the guy with my two mix matched turn’ies. Koyas, Kuniyuki Takahashi, or even artist like Uyama Hiroto, Nujabes (RIP), or Shing02, I feel would most closely have the same vibe for the crowd as I would with my music, not that upfront in your face loud, but the laid back relaxing house ensemble, to the melodic hip-hop beats or the instant classic combo songs from Hiroto and Nujabes. Daedelus I would love to see for an hour just working away with his Monome, sure as much as Kid Koala’s set would blow mine away, I’d be sure to keep up a nice friendly hot competition keeping the crowd excited I’d have to make some more crowd and party friendly music, but I’d be sure to do that if I were opening for him.
I’d be happy to collab with just about anyone, almost all of the same artists carry over for the same reason, I’d love to have my hands on the stems from several Nujabes tracks just to try to make something amazing a new with them, but I know that’s quite unlikely Rest in Peace, Jun Seba. I would have also loved to have collaborated with Rei Harakami, but that chance is also long gone, RIP. On the brighter side, I could see that in the future, hopefully I’ll have the chance of collaborating with several of my favorite artists and leading influences, in any genres and opportunities that open up through my mixing and mastering career too, and I’d be happy to collaborate with anyone want to do so with me.
6. Which other the Hai member would you want to tour with (just one; pretend that it could only be a double bill)? Where would you tour? If it must be just one member I would have to pick Water Gun Water Gun Sky Attack, A Problem Like Maria, Snailhead, Mattir, Somnitone, Flying Batteries, Maximillian, Viktor Disque, Blingey, Hifi, KLV, Stratosfear, Kent Delang, New Dark Age, New Motive Power Snailhead, China, WGWGSAPLM, WGWGSA, mattir, APLM… I would have to admit I can’t be bias, I would tour with everyone in The Hai, but in more likelihood situation, I would probably pick tour spots to be in their hometowns or near so then I would be at least able to say I toured with all the members, the tour would have to be fully global to make sure that everyone can hear my music but especially those great fans in 日本, at least stay a month in Tokyo and Kyoto just to get into more of the club culture there, and play many small live show gigs. I’d probably start it off stateside and then move towards Europe, and then further east, then south and make some grand loop back up to the states. And I guess I’d have to have a tour stop in Mongolia just because.